Tuna salad the vegan way!
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (if salted, scale back on added salt)
- 3 Tbsp vegan mayo (sub tahini for a more earthy, nutty flavor)
- 1/2 tsp dijon or spicy mustard (if using tahini instead of mayo, use half as much mustard)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill* (finely chopped)
- 1 healthy pinch each salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 pieces rustic bread (lightly toasted // gluten-free for GF eaters)
- Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and or lettuce (optional // for serving)
GARLIC HERB SAUCE optional
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced (1/2 lemon yields ~ 1 Tbsp)
- 3/4 – 1 tsp dried dill*
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Water or unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
- Sea salt to taste (optional // I didn’t need any)
- Prepare garlic herb sauce and set aside.
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture. Then add sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, dill, salt, and pepper and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (if desired) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, onion, lettuce).
- Scoop a healthy amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add desired toppings and sauce, and top with other two slices of bread.
- Sunflower-chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, making it great for quick weekday lunches!