A sweet side is good for the holidays and this is an American classic for Thanksgivings and Christmas.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 375 F. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into slices about 1/4 inch rounds. Arrange the slices into a lightly greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter, sugar, ginger, and orange zest, stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour syrup over sweet potatoes evenly, cover with parchment paper, then foil paper and bake for 45 minutes, basting with the syrup at least once. Remove foil, baste with syrup and allow to bake for 20 minutes uncovered.
- PS. Highly recommend that you double the sauce because it is so delicious!